Monday, June 20, 2011

What’s the deal with Scientology???

Let me start by saying that I am the most tolerant person I know. Everybody should be able to believe what they want to, after all, this country was founded on religious freedom! I have several neighbors who are scientologists, and they ALL are super nice people!

It seems that their doctrines are a mesh of many older religions and for the most part common sense based. I find myself agreeing with most of them. Like I said, everyone should be able to do what they want to…as long as no one gets hurt or exploited and herein lies my problem!

The church is tax exempt based on its not-for-profit status, but all members HAVE to buy certain books and materials, as well as participate in costly sessions to achieve the status of “clear”. Not sure about you, but this certainly sounds profitable to me! You may say that in Christianity you are urged to tithe also, so what’s the difference? Well for one, tithing is encouraged but not mandatory. The “suggested” amount is about 10% of your pay, but if you can’t afford to give money and instead give your time or other resources that’s OK. Heck, even if you can’t afford to give anything, you still can have a relationship with God and go to heaven. I don’t think it quiet works this way in Scientology. The other thing that disturbs me is all the coercing and cover-ups I keep reading about. Why does a religious organization need to use such tactics?

I know you cannot believe everything you read on the internet…I would love it if someone educated me about the truth!

No comments: